Monday, September 13, 2010

Book Review: l8r, g8r

The latest in the ttyl series by Lauren Myracle was exactly what I expected: part funny, part annoying, part unapologetic, but overall good.  I can see why some would think to put it on a banned books list, but I thought the treatment of such subjects as first time sex and dirty pranks was quite tasteful and still realistic.  Sure there was some swearing and a few slang terms for a man's... uh... you know.  But really, the IM chats that the novel is written in were pretty much what you would expect from a bunch of teenage girls getting ready to graduate from High School.

Myracle did a wonderful job of treating sex with tender care as well as humor, in such a way that it let girls (and guys) know about some of the things to look forward to, and some of the details that might not normally be brought up by parents or sex-ed classes (depending on the school.)  It also covers such topics as emotional blackmail, revenge, and the psychological drain of constantly fighting an arch-nemesis that you won't even remember a few years out of High School.

All in all, I was impressed with this last of the series and I'm glad I picked it up to review.  I applaud Lauren Myracle and her awesome work.  And where some decide to hate the IM style, I say it's a compelling way to write a narrative without going overboard on details.  It's dialogue, honest and simple.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment